Sudeley Castle & Gardens are looking for an experienced Café Supervisor to work full / part time in the Castle’s Café alongside the Assistant Café Manager and Visitor Services Manager. The Café is located adjacent to the Visitor Centre and serves the day visitors who can be either international, regional, or local visitors. We host a wide variety of events throughout the season and this means our numbers can increase significantly therefore hours would need to be flexible to meet these demands to maintain the expected level of customer service.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, hardworking, and ideally have experience of working in a busy catering, front of house or service environment. They would put good customer service at the top of their list of attributes, are reliable, trustworthy, and confident in their abilities to successfully run the Café in the Assistant Managers absence. Experience in a supervisory role, or leading a small team, would be an advantage as would possession of a basic knowledge or certification in food handling and hygiene.
The successful candidate would be flexible and adaptable in their work ethic and be required provide additional cover when needed. E.G on key event days and to cover sickness and holidays.
Please note that weekend, bank holiday and school holidays are busy periods for the Tourism sector and that it is expected that these will be part of a shift pattern.
Purpose of the Job
- Lead the team in the absence of the Assistant Manager and work collaboratively with the Visitor Centre Manager and Assistant Cafe Manager to be confident in maintaining standards and ensuring staff are trained and competent in their daily duties following set procedures and processes.
- Provide and ensure the highest standard of customer service to all our visitors. A people person with a cheerful disposition and the confidence to engage with visitors to exceed their expectations. To lead by example.
- Serve lunches, snacks, and afternoon tea, assist the kitchen with basic food preparation, clear tables and ensure all areas are kept clean and tidy.
- Accept deliveries and prepare orders with the Assistant Cafe Manager or in their absence with the Visitor Services Manager.
- Be responsible for cashing up and filling in the appropriate paperwork.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- To have a working knowledge within a catering establishment.
- To work collaboratively with all members of the Castle and Visitor Services team to strive for continuous improvement.
- To have a flexible approach with working hours to enable full-service cover in busy periods and for key events.
- To be onsite for opening and closing the Cafe and to ensure set up for the next day is completed.
- To ensure a smooth service throughout the day, managing staff levels accordingly in the absence of the Assistant Café Manager.
- Good time management skills to complete tasks within given time frames.
- Present Sudeley Castle in a clear, informative, and enthusiastic manner in all it has to offer.
- Provide advice and information on ingredients, as well as ensuring a clean, tidy, welcoming environment at all times.
- Competent use of our till system and responsible for cashing up and filling in financial records.
- A clean and tidy appearance and to adhere to strict Food Hygiene regulations.
- Demonstrate awareness and understanding of equal opportunities and diversity, showing respect, consideration and sensitivity to people’s needs in all contact with customers, colleagues, other agencies, and stakeholders.
- Basic stock management – accepting deliveries, processing stock, preparing orders, stock rotation and waste management.
- Full training will be given once you start and then as and when needed throughout the season.
- Good standard of education to GCSE or equivalent level
- Customer Service and cash handling experience, in either Retail, Catering or both.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Commitment to providing a high degree of customer service to the public and creating a positive image of Sudeley.
- Confident, outgoing, friendly, and approachable.
- Ability to engage visitors in conversation.
- Keen to learn the Sudeley story.
- Smart, professional appearance with a strict adherence to our uniform policy.
- Flexibility with shifts (holiday/sickness cover etc.)
- Excellent standard of time keeping.
- Ability to lead and work as part of a team and on own initiative.
- Knowledge and interest of Sudeley Castle and its history is beneficial but not essential.
Hours, remuneration and other benefits
- Pay will be £9.50 per hour, and holiday will accrue monthly.
- Must be available for weekend, BH and all school holidays.
- Season runs from April to November.
- Flexible shifts.
- Discount in Café and Visitor Centre during open season
Application and Selection Procedure
Please apply by 12pm on 26 March 2021 by posting or emailing your CV together with a covering letter stating why you wish to apply to Coriena Brierley, Visitor Services Manager, Sudeley Castle & Gardens, Winchcombe, GL54 5JD or e mail to firstname.lastname@example.org