Our garden volunteers play a vital role in the overall presentation of the garden while learning new skills from the gardeners along the way. While working in the gardens you will add to the visitor experience by being welcoming, friendly and informative for our day visitors, and supporting various departments in their work. We invite those who have specific skills to get involved in areas they specialise in as well as welcoming those with an enthusiasm towards general horticulture to help us ensure a great day out is had by all.
What’s involved in the role?
Our visitor experience volunteers assist with:
- Providing a friendly welcome and enhancing the overall experience of our day visitors with directions and answering frequently asked questions
- Sharing knowledge of our plants, history and exhibits within the garden
- Opportunities to be more involved in specialised areas to demonstrate your skills and detailed knowledge, for example in roses or turf/lawn care
What’s in it for you?
- Joining a friendly and welcoming team
- Meeting visitors from all over the world
- Gaining new skills and knowledge
- Invitations to social occasions and making friends
- Full training and on-going support
- Travel expenses (up to £5 per day, claimed monthly)
- Discount in our gift shop and on our in-house catering offer.
We’d like people to join us who are
- Friendly, outgoing and approachable and likes meeting new people
- A team player but also confident to work on own initiative
- Articulate with an attention to detail
- Able to follow security procedures and the castle’s Health and Safety policy to ensure the safe use of garden equipment/tools
- Punctual and reliable to ensure a good experience for all involved
- Open season March-November
- We ask that all volunteers offer a minimum of a half a day per week to ensure consistency and to enable you to develop and feel part of the team. We can be flexible to suit your requirements as requested, including mornings/afternoons and as-and-when opportunities, and you’re welcome to attend more days each week if you would like to
- We may ask you to consider an alternative day if we have many volunteers on a particular day of the week
This role is purely voluntary, and this arrangement is not meant to be a legally binding one or an employment contract.
To be considered for the team:
Please write a bit about yourself and your availability to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Sudeley Castle & Gardens, Winchcombe, GL54 5JD