Our volunteers play a vital role in enhancing the experience we offer as a visitor attraction by being welcoming, friendly and informative for our day visitors, and supporting various departments in their work. We invite those who have specific skills to get involved in areas they specialise in as well as welcoming those with an excellent approach to customer service to help us ensure a great day out.
What’s involved in the role?
We have a number of opportunities including:
- Providing a friendly welcome and enhancing the overall experience of our day visitors with directions and answering frequently asked questions, whether it be in the Visitor Centre or in the Castle
- Sharing your knowledge of our history and exhibits with visitors in our exhibitions and rooms
- Assisting the gardening team with light duties to help maintain our award-winning gardens
- Help with marshalling and running activities during our extensive event programme
- Opportunities to be more involved in specialised areas to demonstrate your skills and detailed knowledge, for example in textile conservation or art history
What’s in it for you?
- Joining a friendly and welcoming team
- Meeting visitors from all over the world
- Gaining new skills and knowledge
- Invitations to social occasions and making friends
- Full training when starting and as required
- Travel expenses (up to £5 per day, claimed monthly)
We’d like people to join us who are
- Friendly, outgoing and approachable and likes meeting new people
- A team player but also confident to work on own initiative
- Articulate and visitor attentive
- Able to follow security procedures and the castle’s Health and Safety policy to ensure the safeguarding of the castle rooms, exhibits and visitors
- Punctual and reliable to ensure a good experience for all involved
We are open daily from 4th March to 22nd December 2019. We ask that all volunteers offer a minimum of one day per week to ensure consistency and to enable you to develop and feel part of the team. We can be flexible to suit your requirements as requested, including half days and as-and-when opportunities, and you’re welcome to attend more days each week if you would like to.
This role is purely voluntary and this arrangement is not meant to be a legally binding one or an employment contract.
To be considered for the team:
“If you love gardens, have an interest in history, enjoy meeting people and want to escape the humdrum of every day life for a few hours each week, then volunteering at Sudeley Castle is for you.”
“I enjoy working with a great team in a wonderful place. I’ve increased my historical knowledge and it’s great meeting visitors from all around the world.”
“It is a beautiful place as well as full of history. The team (guides and volunteers) are great to work with and offer lots of support. Overall I enjoy the experience of volunteering in a historical setting, learning new things as well as meeting a variety of people who visit each season, who are enthusiastic as me!”
“Why I volunteer, well... An interest in history, especially the Tudor period and just a love of our national heritage, inspired me to volunteer at Sudeley where I learned so much... I’d recommend anyone who has an interest in history, learning new things and getting the opportunity to discuss and share knowledge to join the team at Sudeley. Having just completed my first season as a volunteer, I am now looking forward very much to the next...”