Sudeley Castle & Gardens are looking for a Kitchen Assistant to work in the Terrace Restaurant alongside the existing kitchen team. The Terrace Café is located in the Banqueting Hall of the Castle, and serves the day visitors who visit us from all over the world. We also have a wide variety of events throughout the season and this means our numbers increase but our standards of presentation, speed of service and quality has to remain the same.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, hardworking and ideally have experience of working in busy kitchen, catering or service environments. Excellent teamwork, organisation, initiative and flexibility are essential skills that will be required every day during our busy preparation and service periods.
The successful candidate will work in support of our core kitchen team who report to the Head Chef and the Front of House Manager. This position offers regular hours with the opportunity of additional time during the preparation and delivery of events and throughout the peak visitor season.
Purpose of the Job
- To assist in the preparation of food to the highest standard of quality and presentation as outlined by our recipes and menus here at Sudeley Castle.
- Be responsible for all cleaning of crockery, cutlery and utensils throughout the day and lunch service, ensuring levels are always maintained.
- Helping to clean down the kitchen after a lunch service.
- Operate as part of the Catering and wider site team to provide an excellent catering service and customer satisfaction at Sudeley Castle.
- To be flexible in availability including regular weekends, bank holidays and week days.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- With support from the kitchen team you will ensure a consistent product for visitors by assisting in the production of freshly made dishes, using our fresh and locally sourced ingredients.
- To ensure the high standards of cleanliness for the kitchen, dry stores and preparation areas are maintained through assisting with the completion of cleaning schedules and other duties.
- Maintain a clean and tidy appearance and to adhere to strict Food Hygiene regulations.
- Demonstrate awareness and understanding of equal opportunities and diversity, showing respect, consideration and sensitivity to people’s needs in all contact with customers, and colleagues.
- Commitment to providing a high degree of customer service to the public and creating a positive image of Sudeley Castle.
- A keen interest in food, including the use of fresh, local and seasonal ingredients.
- A cheerful disposition and the confidence to ask for advice or assistance if needed.
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative.
- Willingness to learn new skills and receive practical instruction from colleagues.
- Previous experience working as part of a team.
- Good levels of numeracy and good communication skills.
- Smart, professional appearance and a strict adherence to our uniform policy.
- Flexibility with shifts (holiday/sickness cover etc.)
- Excellent standard of time keeping.
Hours, remuneration and other benefits
- Flexible hours across 7 days a week, must be available weekends and all school holidays.
- Seasonal contract running from 1st March – December 21st
- Approx working hours: 9:00 – 16:30
- 50% discount on cooked food in both Cafés whilst working and 20% in the Visitor Centre shop during open season.
- You will accrue holiday on a monthly basis based on hours worked and be paid for any that you do not take.
Please apply by posting your CV together with a covering letter by e-mail to email@example.com or by post to Greg Knight, Catering Manager, Sudeley Castle & Gardens, Winchcombe, GL54 5JD.