Sudeley Castle & Gardens is a landmark visitor attraction in the Cotswolds, steeped in over 1,000 years of Royal history, with award-winning gardens and a castle that is lived in by the current owners. It also offers a number of exciting activities for children, including an adventure playground and pheasantry.
The castle was once home to Queen Katherine Parr, the last and surviving wife of King Henry VIII. Henry himself, Anne Boleyn, Lady Jane Grey, Queen Elizabeth I and Richard III have all played a part in Sudeley’s story. King Charles I found refuge here during the Civil War, when his nephew Prince Rupert established his headquarters at the Castle.
In 1837 Sudeley was rescued by the wealthy Worcester glove-makers, brothers John and William Dent, whose ambitious restoration programme was continued by their nephew, John Coucher Dent and his wife Emma Brocklehurst, when he inherited the castle in 1855. In 1971 the family decided to open Sudeley to the public as a visitor attraction and it has rapidly established itself as one of the must-see venues in Gloucestershire.
Role: Sudeley Castle Summer Events Crew
Salary: Hourly – Exceeds National Minimum Wage
Hours: Flexible hours across throughout the week (including weekends and bank holidays) during school summer holidays, must be available from 27th July – 1st September 2019. Approximate working day: 10 – 4:30pm (although half shifts may also an option)
Sudeley Castle & Gardens are looking for several self-motivated and energetic individuals to join our 2019 Summer Events Crew to support our busy events and activities programme throughout the open season (March – December). These events can range from children’s trails to classic car days, summer holiday kids activity days to archaeological digs.
Led by the Visitor Services Manager for Events, and supported by the wider Events Crew and Castle team, you will help to deliver an exciting programme of summer activities. Packed full of fun, these activities are particularly focused on our younger visitors – helping to enhance their day out with us and leave them with lasting memories full of Castles, Knights and Queens.
The ideal candidates will be enthusiastic, hardworking and ideally have experience working in a customer facing role. Excellent teamwork, organisation, initiative and flexibility are essential skills that will be required during our busy summer holiday days. You will likely be on the move a lot during the day, and working outside for much of it.
The successful candidates will work to deliver an excellent experience for our visitors, with the possibility of working on other events throughout the year. The positions available offer flexible hours and the opportunity to work at one of the top tourist attractions in the Cotswolds. These roles would be perfect for somebody looking to develop skills and experience in event management, working with children, working at a heritage site and experience working at a busy tourist attraction.
- To assist in the set-up and clean-up of events and activities – including storing, maintaining and carrying props and kit
- To run certain elements of the activities during the day leading groups of children
- To supervise all visitors attending the event and explain instructions for activities
- Be responsible for the safety of visitors during the event, especially children
- Engage with the public, answering questions, talking to visitors to promote Sudeley in general as well as upcoming events and membership benefits
- To work and communicate effectively with any event suppliers and develop a good working relationship with then
- Operate as part of the wider Events Crew, as well as the wider Castle team – including working closely with the Visitor Centre, Security and Duty Manager staff members
- To be flexible in availability including weekends, bank holidays and week days during the school holidays
- To maintain an approachable and friendly attitude throughout the day
- To report any first aid emergencies to the nearest first aider
- Demonstrate awareness and understanding of equal opportunities and diversity, showing respect, consideration and sensitivity to people’s needs in all contact with customers, and colleagues
- Commitment to providing a high degree of customer service to the public and creating a positive image of Sudeley Castle
- A keen interest in any or several of the following: history, tourism, event management, working with children
- Ideally previous experience in one or several of the following: working at events, with young children or in a customer facing role
- A cheerful disposition and the confidence to engage with members of the public, answer questions and queries, and to ask for advice or assistance if needed
- Ability to work independently and using your own initiative, as well as with a wider team
- Ability to work well in busy situations and under pressure
- Willingness to learn new skills and receive practical instruction from colleagues
- Good communication skills
- Flexibility with shifts
- Excellent standard of time keeping
- Desired – enhanced DBS check
What we provide for you
- 50% discount on cooked food whilst working and 20% in the Visitor Centre shop during open season
- Full training will be provided
- We will pay for an enhanced DBS check if you don’t have one
Application and Selection Procedure
Please apply by posting your CV together with a covering letter by e-mail to email@example.com or by post to Tess Hirst, Visitor Services Manager, Sudeley Castle & Gardens, Winchcombe, GL54 5JD.
Role: Sous Chef
Salary: £19,000 per annum pro rata
Hours: Full time, fixed term contract to end of December 2019. Part time hours considered
This is an exciting time to join us, and this role offers you the opportunity to work for our newly appointed Head Chef to produce a first-rate food and drink experience for visitors to our iconic heritage attraction in the beautiful Cotswolds.
We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic, hardworking, and ideally with experience in working in busy kitchen environments. The successful candidate will report directly to the Head Chef and will have the ability to step up and run the kitchen successfully in his absence.
The ideal candidate will have experience producing great quality food in a similar environment, or be ready to step up – preferably in the leisure/attraction sector. You must have the flexibility to work most weekends and some evenings, although our operation is primarily daytime. You will also need access to your own transport due to our location.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to our Catering Manager, Greg Knight: firstname.lastname@example.org
Role: Weekend Kitchen Assistants
Salary: Exceeds National Minimum Wage
Hours: Seasonal, full time and part time roles available
Sudeley Castle & Gardens are looking for a Kitchen Assistant to work in the Terrace Restaurant alongside the existing kitchen team. The Terrace Café is located in the Banqueting Hall of the Castle, and serves the day visitors who visit us from all over the world. We also have a wide variety of events throughout the season and this means our numbers increase but our standards of presentation, speed of service and quality has to remain the same.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, hardworking and ideally have experience of working in busy kitchen, catering or service environments. Excellent teamwork, organisation, initiative and flexibility are essential skills that will be required every day during our busy preparation and service periods.
The successful candidate will work in support of our core kitchen team who report to the Head Chef and the Front of House Manager. This position offers regular hours with the opportunity of additional time during the preparation and delivery of events and throughout the peak visitor season.
Purpose of the Job.
- To assist in the preparation of food to the highest standard of quality and presentation as outlined by our recipes and menus here at Sudeley Castle.
- Be responsible for all cleaning of crockery, cutlery and utensils throughout the day and lunch service, ensuring levels are always maintained.
- Helping to clean down the kitchen after a lunch service.
- Operate as part of the Catering and wider site team to provide an excellent catering service and customer satisfaction at Sudeley Castle.
- To be flexible in availability including regular weekends, bank holidays and week days.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities.
- With support from the kitchen team you will ensure a consistent product for visitors by assisting in the production of freshly made dishes, using our fresh and locally sourced ingredients.
- To ensure the high standards of cleanliness for the kitchen, dry stores and preparation areas are maintained through assisting with the completion of cleaning schedules and other duties.
- Maintain a clean and tidy appearance and to adhere to strict Food Hygiene regulations.
- Demonstrate awareness and understanding of equal opportunities and diversity, showing respect, consideration and sensitivity to people’s needs in all contact with customers, and colleagues.
- Commitment to providing a high degree of customer service to the public and creating a positive image of Sudeley Castle.
- A keen interest in food, including the use of fresh, local and seasonal ingredients.
- A cheerful disposition and the confidence to ask for advice or assistance if needed.
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative.
- Willingness to learn new skills and receive practical instruction from colleagues.
- Previous experience working as part of a team.
- Good levels of numeracy and good communication skills.
- Smart, professional appearance and a strict adherence to our uniform policy.
- Flexibility with shifts (holiday/sickness cover etc.)
- Excellent standard of time keeping.
Hours, remuneration and other benefits
- Wage: Exceeds national minimum wage
- Flexible hours across 7 days a week, must be available weekends and all school holidays.
- Seasonal contract running from 1st March – December 21st
- Approx working hours: 9:00 – 16:30
- 50% discount on cooked food in both Cafés whilst working and 20% in the Visitor Centre shop during open season.
- You will accrue holiday on a monthly basis based on hours worked and be paid for any that you do not take.
Application and Selection Procedure
Please apply by posting your CV together with a covering letter by e-mail to email@example.com or by post to Greg Knight, Catering Manager, Sudeley Castle & Gardens, Winchcombe, GL54 5JD.
– To find out about Volunteering opportunities click here.