Sudeley Castle & Gardens are seeking a self-motivated, driven and experienced Gardener on a full-time permanent basis to join the team, at this stunning visitor attraction in the Cotswolds A.O.N.B. The successful applicant must have good all-round horticultural experience.
Sudeley Castle is one of the pre-eminent visitor attractions in the Cotswolds, with over 90,000 day visitors per year and another 40,000 visitors to events held on the Estate. It is also a private home lived in by the current owners. The award-winning 14-acre gardens are set around the majestic backdrop of Sudeley Castle, surrounded by striking views of the Cotswold Hills, and are maintained to a very high standard.
Sudeley has 10 themed gardens that sweep around the castle and grounds and include a Rose garden, a White garden, herb gardens, extensive formal hedges, and topiary. The team also maintains the gardens of several holiday cottages located on the wider Sudeley estate. Sudeley also has a rare breed pheasantry, adventure playground and willow maze for children.
The ideal candidate will have training and experience as a professional gardener. You will assist the Head Gardener and team in the maintenance and development of the gardens, also working alongside volunteers.
Your work will include the maintenance and presentation of formal hedges, roses, herbaceous plants, lawns and gardens, ensuring that the highest possible standards are achieved.
You should be able to demonstrate a good knowledge of garden plants and cultivation techniques and will ideally be qualified to at least BTEC level 3 diploma standard in amenity/ornamental horticulture or similar and hold certification for the application of pesticides.
You should also be able to demonstrate proficiency and competence in the safe operation of a range of pedestrian, ride-on, and hand-held machinery.
This role will suit you if you have a passion for all aspects of horticulture, historic estate gardens and a desire to be involved in the development and presentation of the beautiful gardens at Sudeley.
Public transport to Sudeley Castle is limited. Applicants should have access to a motor vehicle or otherwise be able to easily travel to Sudeley Castle.
Skills and experience required
- Experience of working as a Gardener in a large garden following the routine seasonal maintenance requirements of a variety of plants and garden features.
- Proficiency in undertaking to a high standard of competence, practical garden tasks in relation to the maintenance of various garden features and areas, including herbaceous and seasonal planting, roses, formal and informal hedges, herbs, lawn maintenance and mowing.
- A knowledge of plant husbandry and horticultural techniques appropriate to a heritage garden gained at BTEC level 3 or higher.
- Experience in the safe use of a range of handheld pedestrian and ride-on garden machinery and equipment, such as lawn mowers, strimmers and tractors.
- Proficiency in the application of pesticides, using hand-held equipment.
- Ease in forging good working relationships with team, colleagues and volunteers.
- Commitment to creating a positive image of Sudeley and a feeling of pride in the presentation of Sudeley’s gardens.
- Knowledge and experience of health and safety requirements appropriate to a garden that is open to the public.
- Experience of successfully working in a team of gardeners, including volunteers.
- To hold appropriate certificates of competence in the safe operation of pedestrian, hand-held and ride-on horticultural equipment such as lawn mowers, strimmers and tractors.
- Experience of working in a garden, tourist attraction or similar that is open to the public and the ability to engage positively with visitors.
- Appetite to take responsibility for the maintenance and development of specific garden areas and/or projects as required.
- Demonstrate an understanding of diversity, showing respect, consideration and inclusive behaviour to colleagues, volunteers, customers, and stakeholders.
Remuneration and other benefits
- Salary in the range £22,000 – £24,500 D.O.E. for the right candidate
- This is a full-time permanent position, conditional upon completion of a probationary period.
- You will be eligible to participate in the Sudeley pension and bonus schemes and will receive 28 days paid holiday inclusive of statutory public holidays.
Please apply by emailing your CV and a covering note describing how you meet our requirements to email@example.com
Or if you prefer to post, send to Kim Gibbon, Head of Visitor Experience, Sudeley Castle and Gardens, Winchcombe, Gloucestershire, GL54 5JD.